Washington State is the most trade-dependent state in the nation. 40% of jobs in our state are connected to trade, and we export more than $90 billion in goods and services annually.
“We have to work together if we are going to get our economy back on track by opening new markets and selling American goods and services to consumers abroad.” – Dave Reichert 10/12/2011
Video: Dave Reichert Urging Passage of KORUS FTA
Trade agreements are a proven stimulus that helps our nation compete in the global economy and opens new markets for American businesses to “Sell American” – which is especially important when 95% of the consumers of American goods and services live outside our borders. By providing access to these consumers, we help Americans provide for their families. We must also consider what our country stands to lose by failing to implement trade agreements while competitors like the European Union, Canada, and China race ahead to aggressively knock down trade barriers and increase their own market share. We cannot afford the consequences of inaction on trade.
I remain unwavering in my commitment to advancing our nation’s trade agenda in order to create American jobs and put our nation on the path to economic recovery. I was proud to work with local businesses to create legislation that will "Sell American" - the US OUTDOOR ACT.
TRADE PROMOTION AUTHORITY: Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) is how Members of Congress set forth our trade priorities and instruct the President and his Administration on how trade agreements should be negotiated, strengthening the hands of our negotiatiors and ensuring that that Congress and the American people can hold the Administration accountable. It is critical to finalizing on-going negotiations for high-standard trade agreements like the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) and the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (T-TIP).
KORUS FTA: Passing the Korean Free Trade Agreement was a giant step forward in creating jobs and increasing American competitiveness in the global marketplace. I was proud to play a leading role in the process and passage of the KORUS FTA.
- Recipient of the 2010 Trade And Investment Leadership Award
- Member of the President’s Export Council - combating violators of intellectual property rights
- Purposively looking toward new markets and new opportunities
- Led effort to include ‘New Market Access’ in the National Export Initiative
For more information about the importance of trade to Washington, please access the links below.
- Department of Commerce: http://www.trade.gov/mas/ian/statereports/states/wa.pdf
- Department of Agriculture: http://www.fas.usda.gov/sites/default/files/2015-02/washington_tpp_feb_2015.pdf
- United States Trade Representative: https://ustr.gov/about-us/policy-offices/press-office/fact-sheets/2014/August/Washington-State-Jobs-Business-Supported-by-Exports
To read the text of the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade agreement, visit the link below: